So taking it back to the range for a quick trial of the cannon against our target vehicles. Without completed IHADSS symbology for the cannon, the old TLAR system is employed....to not very good effect. After around 3 passes I managed to hit 4 targets.
|Trying to engage from a hover.|
|How did I do? Not very well.|
Gunnery is hard, ever harder without cannon stabilisation and HUD symbology. Setting the cannon to fixed forward to boresight targets worked better, understandable considering the lack of auto range adjustment atm.
On the whole, the fire effect system works OK, needs some fine tuning. It's certainly visible from 1,000m and shows where I have some adjustments to make. There's no wind generation atm in the Environment object (which controls temp, time of day, rain etc) but that can be easily added to smoke plumes later as a velocity (trivial).
It's got me starting to think about trigger zones (game mechanics) for this range and basic comms to get some game play element in it. Nothing fancy, just a zone at the observation post when crossed begins a timed run-in and tracks your performance/accuracy until you leave the range area then you get a radio message and pop-up display of targets, hits and score. All in character of course.
Short term things to do over the next few days...
- HUD cannon symbology, auto-range and stabilisation.
- Varation in smoke plume effects
- Enhanced initial explosion effects (they get lost in the 30mm round hit effects).
- Big one, transparencies are not being rendered in the TADS view for some reason.
- A popup MTADS image would help.
- Add score value to vehicle database.
Effects Update function to modulate ambient fire lighting.
* update *
I couldn't help myself. I need to to stress test in a target rich environment. I improved my home-brew effect factory so it's possible to defer effects and specify fade out times. Also I added the fire lighting modulation (point lights again) which sells a burning mass of vehicles at night.
I also added the steer functions for the Apache spotlight and put a corona over it. The corona billboard is getting culled when it shouldn't be. Probably the same bug effecting the sun corona. One to file.
Happy Easter everyone!